MAB adds its voice to other Muslim Organisations in condemning the barbaric killing in Woolwich, London
The Muslim Association of Britain (MAB) deplores the horrific attack, murder and mutilation upon an off-duty soldier. The statements of the murderers, who cited religious and political motives for their action, have no link with the teachings of Islam which MAB promotes. They deserve punishment with the full force of the law.
MAB acknowledges the service and sacrifice which British soldiers make to provide security to the people of this country and others. Differences with the political and military strategy abroad does not justify vigilante activity at home, or committing murder, in any ideology or religion.
- upon the criminal justice system to bring swift and firm justice to this case.
- upon reporters, commentators and politicians to exercise restraint in their messages to the wider British public, distinguishing the extreme rhetoric of the assailants from the views of moderate Muslims.
- upon them to avoid feeding into the discourse of the extreme far-right parties who are as deep a threat to the stability of our country as other extremists.
- upon the resilient and tolerant British public to explore the great religion of Islam for themselves and avoid the short-sighted views of such extremists.
- upon all those who are dissatisfied with British foreign policy to look to meaningful and constructive dialogue and to shun criminality.
We implore all Muslims to disseminate the extensive messages of peace, co-operation, trust and mutual goodness in Islam in their sermons and teachings; and to condemn such acts of violence.
Muslim Association of Britain